Are you wondering if your Dachshund can safely eat strawberries? After all, knowing which fruit is safe for dogs isn’t something you just know. This article has everything you need to know about feeding your Dachshund strawberries.
Yes, your Dachshund can eat strawberries. Strawberries are safe for dogs to consume, they’re low calorie and abundant in vitamins and antioxidants. Strawberries may also help to keep your Dachshunds teeth white.
Are Strawberries Safe For Dachshunds to Eat?
Strawberries are one of our favorites, and thankfully they are safe for your Dachshund to eat too!
In fact, all kinds of berries including raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, cranberries, and strawberries are safe and even beneficial (in small amounts) for your Dachshund.
It’s important to state that we’re talking about fresh strawberry fruit, and not reproduced strawberry products or flavorings.
Always be sure to test a small portion of a single strawberry with your Dachshund first before giving him many. Just because strawberries are considered safe for dogs to eat, it doesn’t mean YOUR Dachshund will tolerate them.
Benefits of Strawberries For Dachshunds
A handful of strawberries throughout the week will provide a range of health benefits you may not have been expecting, so let’s run through them!
● Strawberries have a special enzyme called malic acid. This enzyme has remarkable teeth-whitening properties and will help to give your Dachshund some dazzling gnashers.
● Strawberries are low in calories meaning your Dachshund can enjoy them without increasing his overall daily caloric intake too much. One of the downfalls of most normal dog treats these days is that they are high in calories and can disrupt your dog’s ideal weight.
● Strawberries are high in vitamin C, K, B1 and B6 which all play a key role in keeping your Dachshunds immune system strong and healthy. Strawberries also contain plenty of antioxidants and minerals including magnesium, potassium, iodine, and folic acid.
● Strawberries are a surprising source of Omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 plays a key role in heart health, immune system function, brain function and even eye health.
How Often and How Many Strawberries Should Your Dachshund Eat?
The next logical question is how often can your Dachshund eat strawberries, and how many each time?
Despite being mostly healthy, it’s best to limit portions to a small handful, 1-3 times per week at the maximum.
Strawberries contain sugar, and although it’s natural sugar, it still has many negative side-effects when consumed too frequently in large amounts. So because of this, limiting his portions is absolutely recommended. Too much sugar is never good!
Oh, and skip the cream! Practically all adult dogs are lactose intolerant, stick the fresh fruit only.
Other Dachshund Articles on The Puppy Mag ⭐
● Dachsund Swimming Lesson
● Why Is Your Dachshund Limping?
● How Much Exercise Should a Dachshund Puppy Receive
● How To Prevent Your Dachshund From Jumping
● How Often Should Bathe Your Dachshund
This is original content produced and published by The Puppy Mag | www.thepuppymag.com | If this content appears on any other website or platform then it is not the original and action will be taken.
Can Dachshunds Eat Other Berries Too?
Yes, as mentioned above, your Dachshund can eat all berries including raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, cranberries.
Feel free to try different berries with your Dachshund to see which one he likes the most, but just remember to limit portions to 1-3 times per week, due to the sugar content contained in the fruit.
Which is the healthiest berry? Blueberries are still the healthiest berry containing the highest content of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Blueberries contain:
● Vitamin C, K, E, A and B Complex
● High amounts of Manganese
● Antioxidant polyphenols which protect against heart disease
● Fiber to help with digestion
Can Dachshunds Eat Strawberry Ice Cream
So now we’re starting to blur the line…
I get it, strawberries to strawberry ice cream is an easy leap to make! And it sure tastes great. But can your Dachshund eat strawberry ice cream?
Unfortunately, the answer isn’t the same as it is with the fruit itself. The problem is that commercial dairy ice cream is not only extremely high in sugar, but it contains dairy, and nearly all adult dogs are lactose intolerant.
A healthier option if you’re looking for a frozen treat, would be fresh strawberries blended up into natural dairy-free yogurt. This proves to an instant winner so you may want to try it!
So there you have it, you now know that Dachshunds can eat strawberries and in small amounts can be beneficial to their health. Strawberries are low in calories and will work as excellent training treats.
Please note: not all fruit is safe for your Dachshund to consume and just because strawberries and other berries are, it doesn’t mean all other fruit is. Please do your own research before giving your dog any kind of fruit.